Faculty of Agricultural Sciences and Technologies
History and Development
Founded in 2012, we now have nearly fifty-five students in our educational life, having started with six students in our faculty. We opened a new graduate program in the department of Crop Production and Technologies and plan to open a doctorate program within three years.
Mission and Vision
Our Mission is to contribute to societal peace by training qualified professionals who; are equipped with modern profesional knowledge and skills, can seek new knowledge and learn about new technologies, can learn and teach perpetually, can produce, research, and apply, in an open improvement, have national and international competitive capacity with ethical values in the frame of universal values and in the line with national needs, according to scientific fundamentals and sustainability infields of agricultural production.
Our Vision is to be a pioneering, well-known and modern faculty which has the national and international competitive capacity in the frame of sensitivity to environmental and ethical values in conducting modern educational activities, scientific research, and development studies, training qualified professionals in our Faculty of Cyprus International University one of the most productive institutions of Cyprus.
Department students have the opportunity to undertake research, to become part of applied education, and to have the opportunity to be interns in the 29,400 acre Practice, Research and Training Farm near the CIU campus, which offers 6550 acres of farmland, 4200 acres of olive trees, 750 of various fruit trees and 1600 acres of vineyard. 450 acres are for greenhouse cultivation and 250 acres are for open vegetable cultivation. Arable crops such as clover are planted in 20,300 acres and poultry husbandry is carried out in 1000 acres with sheep, goat, and cattle farming occupying 850 acres of land.
By 2011, there were 1,130 cattle and 500 sheep and goats of different ages on the farm. The poultry husbandry business had 27 poultry houses of 720 m², nine of which were used for egg production and breeding, with a capacity of 18,000 chicks per week. There is a capacity to produce 40,000 eggs per day in both of the poultry houses. Meat production occurs in the other 16 poultry houses. Within the farm there is a 500 m2 closed space housing an olive processing plant.